A Chance to Expand and Explore
May Term is an innovative program designed to provide unique and enriching learning experiences for Holy Family students. This schedule is a distinctively different approach to the traditional end of the school year. May Term harnesses the potential of the finals weeks of May by optimizing time and increasing overall educational value. It promotes a school environment of excitement, engagement, and inquiry as students pursue studies in areas outside the scope of the current curriculum.
Students will enroll in a series of elective courses designed to stretch their imaginations, offer exposure to new topics and ideas, and afford opportunities for diving deeper into subject areas. Course offerings are designed by Holy Family faculty, both independently and collaboratively, and target students’ interests.
Program Goals and Outcomes:
- Exposure to a broad range of electives
- Beneficial adjustments to annual school calendar (finals before Christmas)
- Mental health support (allows for decompression and retreat over break as well as offering classes that promote positive mental health)
- An attractive addition to competitive colleges and universities that are looking for students to distinguish themselves from others
Hear how things are going in the first Holy Family May Term in this episode of our podcast Inside 8101: https://hfchs.podbean.com/May Term Registration Link
Block 1: 8:00am – 9:20am
Block 2: 9:25am – 10:45am
Lunch: 10:50am – 11:55am
Block 3: 12:00pm – 1:20pm
Block 4: 1:25pm- 2:45pm
A Lunch 10:50-11:11 (11th Graders)
B Lunch 11:11-11:33 (10th Graders)
C Lunch 11:33-11:55 (9th Graders)
Four blocks will be offered per day and students will take courses that consist of 1 or 2 blocks. Every student will take a full schedule, but the amount of classes they have depend on the type of course they are taking.
Example #1- Student A takes four separate 1-block courses
Example #2- Student B takes one 2-block course and two 1-block courses
Example #3- Student C takes two 2 block courses
May 14, 2021 – Last Day of Semester 2
May 17, 2021 – No School Grading Day
May 18, 2021 – First Day of May Term
May 28, 2021 – Last Day of May Term
Course Selection Process
- Students in grades 9-11 participate in May Term.
All students must take a full schedule.
Students register for May Term courses by grade in this order: 1. 11th grade | 2. 10th grade | 3. 9th grade
Students select their courses electronically.
May Term courses may be canceled or added based on enrollment or staffing changes.
Grades and Credit Values
- May Term courses are graded and given the equivalent credit of a one-semester course (.5 credits). The grade point average (GPA) for May Term consists of the combination of all courses taken during that May Term.
- May Term is a graduation requirement and students will be required to Pass three May terms (1.5 credits). Students that do not pass May Term will be required to take May Term their senior year. Transfer students will be exempt from May Term prior to transferring to Holy Family.
- Students will be able to use their CANVAS Leadership Profiles to highlight the courses they took during May Term. May Term courses may provide a competitive advantage to students applying to colleges and universities.